The size and structure of the adult social care sector and workforce in England 2019-2020
Wednesday, July 29, 2020
Published by Skills for Care, this report: The size and structure of the adult social care sector and workforce in England provides the most up-to-date and comprehensive overview of the size and structure of the adult social care sector and workforce in England.
- The number of people working in adult social care is estimated at 1.52 million.
- The number of adult social care jobs in England as at 2019/20 was estimated at 1.65 million
- Out of 1.65 million jobs, 41% of these jobs are residential, 43% are domiciliary, 2% are day and 13% are community based jobs.
- An estimated 18,200 organisations were involved in providing or organising adult social care in England as at 2019/20.
- Since 2012/13 there has been a decrease of 25% (37,000 jobs) in local authority jobs and an increase of 11% (130,000jobs) in independent sector jobs.
- The number of jobs in domiciliary services increased at a faster rate of 15% (95,000 jobs) between 2012/13 and 2019/20 than jobs in residential services, which increased by 4% (25,000 jobs)
- There has been a significant decrease (30%) in Registered nurses in adult social care over the period over the same period.
Forecast and trends
- If the adult social care workforce grows proportionally to the projected number of people aged 65 and over in the population then the number of adult social care jobs will increase by 32% (520,000 jobs) to around 2.17 million jobs by 2035.
Please note that the data used in this report was collected from March 2019 to March 2020 so therefore prior to the height of the COVID-19 pandemic.
To read the full report click here.
Cream Health Care are a health and social care recruitment agency based in the West Midlands and we specialise in recruiting Care Assistants, Support Workers, Senior Carers and Nurses within Nursing, Residential care and Supported living in Stoke-On-Trent, Hanley, Newcastle-Under-Lyme, Telford, Walsall, Cannock, Stafford, West Bromwich and Birmingham.Shropshire and the West Midlands.
We are always looking for experienced carers with a passion for care to join our team. If this interests you, please send a copy of your CV to us or ring us today for a chat on 01782 261552.
To contact the Cream Team about recruitment send an e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org or call: 01782 261552.